Introduction to Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) Marketing
Dr. Brett Rollins, RPh, PhD, Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Administration, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Georgia Campus
This streamlined course will outline the basics of DTC Marketing 101, creating a roadmap for the subsequent courses. Learn about DTC Marketing, its role, and the different strategies and uses of this unique advertising channel.
- Understand the role of DTC in the Pharma marketing mix. Identify and differentiate the traditional marketing mix variables and how they uniquely function in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Describe the history of DTC advertising, its role, and the pros and cons associated with its use.
- Differentiate the strategies and uses of DTC advertising for the various stakeholders, including consumers, physicians, third-party insurers, and pharmaceutical manufacturers.
Understanding Disease Education Campaigns
Melissa Andrews, Vice President, Client Service, Targetbase
Learn what important factors you need to know when developing the first communications patients will see about your treatment.
- Understand the different types of disease awareness, and how to create compelling marketing campaigns.
- Learn about the important differences: between disease education and your future branded general awareness marketing; being first to market or launching your work in an existing, competitive market.
- Understand the disease education channels (brochures, unbranded websites, social, etc.), when to use them and how to use them.
Basic DTC Digital Marketing Strategies
Frank Chipman, SVP and Healthcare Practice Leader, MetrixLab
Learn digital best practices and emerging innovative practices. Grounded by empirical evidence taken from a database containing thousands of tested digital ads/programs, learn the benefits for and growing focus on DTC digital advertising for pharma.
- Learn how pharma brands can benefit from the huge DTC digital advertising opportunity: from the different types of digital marketing, to the importance of utilizing digital marketing, to the important considerations for creating a media plan and designing ads.
- Learn the steps for designing your DTC digital strategy and outlining the creative brief you will use to guide your digital agency.
- Follow clear guidelines on how to significantly improve the impact and ROI of your DTC digital ads.
Fundamentals of Mass Media Marketing
Christine Pineiro, SVP, Managing Director, Carat
Mass media comprises the significant majority of DTC budgets typically. By gaining a solid understanding of how to utilize theses media channels properly, you can optimize your campaign’s performance and effectiveness.
- Learn how to choose the right channels based on various factors (including customer type, media location, product life cycle stage, budget, etc) when creating your strategy for pharma communications.
- Discover which marketing tactics and campaign elements resonate and elicit action better than others.
- Find out how to set appropriate benchmarks and optimize your spend throughout the campaign.
The Basics of Targeting and Segmentation
Chris Neuner, SVP and GM of Digital Health Solutions, PulsePoint
Data-driven consumer profiling is crucial for reaching your target audience, but big data can be overwhelming. This course will help you understand how to find the right patients, providing them with the right information at the right time.
- Learn about the importance of and different ways to target and segment.
- Identify the who, where, and how to reach your target audience using technological advancements and innovative business models.
- Translating your target into persona- and demographic-based segments that can be actioned upon creatively, in broad communications and in targeted digital and print media.
Understanding the ROI of DTC Marketing
Fred Church, Director, Healthcare, SKIM
What is ROI and how do you do it well? This course will lead you through all stages – from pre-testing to launch to optimization to forecasting. Learn how to develop the right model for your brand, setting appropriate benchmarks along the way.
- Understand the different methodologies and capabilities across the vendor landscape for measuring ROI, forecasting, calibrating against norms, and optimizing media spend and channel mix. Gain an understanding of the importance of projective ROI based on modeling vs. reality.
- Learn how ROI dynamics vary between branded and unbranded DTC campaigns.
- Understand some of the ways of defining ROI, including “gated” ROI (ROI realized during the timeframe of the campaign itself), as well as ROI using 12-month, 24-month and lifetime patient values.
The Basics of DTC Marketing at the Doctor’s Office
Linda Ruschau, Chief Client Officer, PatientPoint
Advertising within a doctor’s office is called ‘Point of Care’ advertising. Examples of this include TV advertising, brochures, or wall advertising in the waiting room or exam room. Point of care provides critical information at the point where patients are often highly receptive. Learn best practices for developing ad creative, product lifecycle considerations when creating a media plan.
- The ad creative process for POC media: Who are the stakeholders on a team? How are partnerships with health organizations employed in creative development? Learn best practices for developing ad creative.
- At what stage in a brand’s lifecycle should DTC marketing in the doctor’s office be included? Learn about the various product lifecycle considerations when creating a media plan.
- How is the ROI for in-doctor-office media different from other media channels? Review the measured vs. modeled story on ROI calculation. What approach should be taken to decide how much in-doctor-office programs should be included within the media mix?
Understanding The Regulatory Issues in DTC
Moulakshi Roychowdhury, PharmD, JD, Executive Director, Regulatory Affairs – Advertising & Labeling, Allergan
DTC Marketing is a unique industry in which to operate. Learn about the nuances, regulations, and restrictions specific to this marketing industry – and most importantly, how to effectively operate within them.
- Understand the multiple challenges facing DTC marketers. Learn about FDA’s structure and process. Review PhRMA’s Guiding Principles. Discuss timing and strategic planning, including how to create an effective OPDP submission and when to / when not to pre-clear.
- Learn about the current regulatory issues as well as future legislative issues that could impact healthcare and the consumer marketing of prescription products.
- Discover ways that you can help the industry and its patients through safe, but effective, communications that adhere to regulatory restrictions.
Introduction to Legislation and Its Impacts on DTC
Jim Davidson, Attorney, Polsinelli, PC
With a prime vantage point in Washington, our inside expert Jim Davidson will describe the multiple challenges facing manufacturers and marketers, and what can be done to help our industry and ultimately our patients.
The New 4 P’s of Pharma Marketing
John Gardner, President, Luckie & Company